Need a holiday dessert to take center stage at your new year’s party? Don’t fret ! This upside down fruit cake will solve all your problems. Fruit cake is a traditional holiday dessert and this version is just a twist on two classics. New year’s is all about out with the old and in with the new or learning from your past. So out with the old recipes of upside down cakes and fruit cakes and in with this new recipe! Ah, now I’m being a bit too corny. Our New Year’s consists of indulging before the clock strikes 12 and we cut back after the countdown, there’s never any cake left after 12 anyways ;).
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of mixed berries
- 1 banana (sliced)
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 3 cups of flour (all purpose or cake flour)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup egg whites
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup of sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease baking pan (We used a bundt cake pan)
2. Make the caramel by melting the sugar and 1/2 cup of butter together. Do not stir
3. Once the sugar has completely dissolved, Pour into the pan you just greased
4. Add in the fruits to the topping before the caramel sets
5. Beat the butter in a bowl until it becomes creamy
6. Gradually add the sugar, beat until fluffy
7. Slowly add in the eggs and vanilla extract creating a egg batter
8. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients creating a dry mixture
9. Alternate between adding the dry mixture and sour cream into the egg batter , mix until it forms a cake batter
10. Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. If you use a chopstick or tooth pick, poke it in the cake and pull it out, it should be clean to indicate that the cake is finished.
Eat it all up before midnight !