We decided to amp up our old black bean quinoa recipe. We still lived in our old home and lighting was horrible there. Our old pictures did the quinoa no justice. Sigh, should I just keep these aggravating thoughts to myself !
Black Bean Quinoa
- Dash of Cumin
- 16 oz diced tomatoes,
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 16 oz black beans (we used dried that we soaked overnight)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon siracha
- 1 stalk of green onions
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. If you have a rice cooker, utilize it ! Cook the quinoa in it. If not use a heavy bottom pot. In the cooker (or pot whichever you’re using) fill it with the quinoa. If it’s not pre-washed, wash it ! Add in the 1 cup chicken broth & 1 cup water. Throw in one garlic clove. Cover and cook for 5 mins before opening the lid.
2. If you are using dry beans, boil them while the quinoa cooks. Once it’s finished cooking, drain it.
3. Once the quinoa is cooked, fluff it with a fork.
4. In a non stick pan, add in the vegetable oil. Throw in the diced onions and add a pinch of salt
5. Throw in the diced garlic and diced tomatoes into the pot
6. Once the liquid from the tomato sauce comes to a rolling boil, add in the beans and cook uncover for 2 mins
7. Add the cumin
8. Once most of the liquid is evaporated add in the quinoa and toss. Top with green onions and serve 🙂