Your hot pockets should be thrown away because this is better than any old hot pocket. You and I know that this is freshly made with ingredients of your choice and not from a box. This has no preservatives and even though dough is made by you! So try it. It’s simple, easy, and something to show off. There’s nothing to be ashamed of when scarfing down this dish, even we can’t get enough of these and we have an extra 5lbs to prove it.
It’s proud thing to show off to everyone. Give it to your co-workers, your friends, even your mother-in-law will approve of this. Everyone told us “this tastes like pizza, only it’s not!” The “intricate” design can once again fool anyone you need to impress.
Bacon Chili Folded Bread
*modified from Aeri’s Kitchen
For the dough:
- 3 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 cup of room temp milk
- 1/2 cup of room temp water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- Bacon (as much as your health conscience desires)
- 1 lb of ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup of onion
- 1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice (just don’t pick ricotta)
- 2 diced garlic cloves
- 1 egg yolk
- salt & pepper
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
* You can add carrots, celery, or any vegetale of your choice
1. Mix yeast, water, and milk in a bowl & let it sit
2. After yeast has rested mix all the ingredients together.
Make sure to sift the flour to get rid of any flour chunks
3. Knead the dough, form a ball, cover, and let it rise in a warm place (such as an oven with the light on) for 30 mins to an hour until it has doubled in size. Press your finger into the dough, if the dough does not bounce back, the dough is ready
4. Meanwhile brown the beef or turkey and bacon
5. Once the meat is browned add the onions and garlic (and vegetables if you added any). Bring the heat down to a simmer
6. After 2-5 minutes of cooking or when the the onions have become translucent, add the tomato sauce
7. While maintaining the mixture on a low heat, bring it to a boil
8. Once it has boiled and the sauce has lessened, divide the mixture in half
9. After the dough has risen, divide it in half
10. Roll it out into a 9×13 size rectangle or your desired size
11. Place the filing in the center of the dough and top with cheese
* I forgot to put the cheese before I made the incisions in this picture
12. Make your incision of 1/2 strips
13. Begin making your folds by taking the horizontal, thick, end cover piece and placing it on top of the beef. This will close off the bread. It will look like its tucked under the weaves. Alternate the folds by weaving one on top of the other until you reach the last two. Just like in the beginning, take the horizontal, thick end cover piece and place it on top of the beef. This will give it the tucked in look again and close off the end of the bread. Fold the last two weaves on top of the horizontal, thick cover piece to finish it off.
Confusing D:? Let us know if you guys want a video on it.
Step back & give yourself a pat on the back, you’ve just weave yourself a home made better than a hot pocket. Congratulations!
14. Brush egg yolk on top of the bread
15. Bake for 20 mins at 400 F. Let it cool before slicing and certainly before taking a bite. A burnt tongue is not fun to deal with.
Let us know if recipe videos are something you guys would like to see ! We’re thinking of starting to make some videos.